Help with drooping leaves

masoct3

420 Member
Hello,

On Thursday, I transplanted these from root bound containers so I had to trim a little. I also have been watering my plants but not too much.

Does this look like it could be a result of transplant shock or over watering?

They looked great 18 hours ago.

Thank you so much!

Screenshot_20240921-230605.png

They do not look that bad at all at this time. Something like what I see there would not be a worry to me. To help give a few ideas and explain what might be happening then a bit more info is needed.

I transplanted these from root bound containers so I had to trim a little.
The missing info is "trim a little" what? Trim some leaves or leaves & stems or trim/prune some roots. Also, transplant from what size container to what size is the new container?

Sometimes I am transplanting to a pot that is just as deep as the original pot; the difference being that the new pot is much wider. If this is happening I will rip off handfuls of roots from the bottom of the root ball making it smaller. That way I can have a layer of soil under the root mass and it does not seem to have any effect on the plant. I just finish the transplanting, tamp the soil down and water and sometimes then add a bit more soil. No wilting or drooping of leaves.

I also have been watering my plants but not too much.
This caught my attention. When I am getting ready to transplant from one pot to another I will water the plant so that the root ball is nice and moist. This helps to promote a quick spurt of root growth once the plant is in the new soil. Is it possible that the soil was dry and not moist during the transplanting?

Does this look like it could be a result of transplant shock or over watering?
It could be 'transplant shock' especially if the soil in the first pot was somewhat dry from not watering enough before starting the switch over to the larger pot. The roots could have experienced some damage and being dry it would take time for them to recover.

If you watered after doing the transplanting that would not be something to cause overwatering no matter how much water was used. Overwater is caused by watering enough day after day that the soil does not have a chance to start to dry out a bit. The soil itself can handle the excess water but the plant roots can suffer because the excess water cuts off the supply of soil oxygen, etc.

If after a day it still looks like the plant is drooping and you have already given some water to moisten the soil take another photo from the same angle as the one in the first msg.

Back
Top Bottom