Help with driver replacement

I know this is a long shot, but I have a Home Depot LED light, 4000k about 150 watts. It was my kitchen light, the driver went out, and I cannot seem to find a replacement driver. Home Depot is no help, even though it’s their brand. Never got anywhere near the 50k hours it advertised (cheap Chinese driver). So the driver is a “CDL 050W-1200-042L”. Can’t seem to find one, or an equivalent, any ideas? The current driver is about a 1” square and 7- 8 inches long, although I could relocate the position.figured I could use it as supplemental light in the tent.-

Have you got a link to the product (presumably on the Home Depot website)?

And I feel silly even asking this, because you're neither an idiot nor a newbie - but are you certain it's a 150-watt device and not, perhaps, a 50-watt one that was advertised to "replace a 150-watt incandescent bulb?" Because the only thing I could find was a 50-watt one, enclosed in a plastic (not metal) box.

EDIT: Is there any kind of label on the power supply at all? If so, please post a picture of it/them.

Here's what I got, there's nothing else on it.
IMG_0079 (1).jpg
IMG_0078.jpg

At 50 Watts it's barely worth doing, but it would make a good replacement for the 50 years old fluorescent fixture in my garage!

Open up your driver, it may just have have a bad solder joint , like this one

you can just match the specs and replace with a similar driver. i've done it a few times. it's easy.

Here's what I got, there's nothing else on it.
IMG_0079 (1).jpg
IMG_0078.jpg

At 50 Watts it's barely worth doing, but it would make a good replacement for the 50 years old fluorescent fixture in my garage!

I suggest you contact Mouser Electronics. They'll almost certainly have what you need in stock and ready to ship. But there are LOTS of other options. Expect to pay $20 (or less) for a questionable Chinese brand, up to around $50 for something of higher expected quality. And $100 if you're completely insane ;).

I know this is a long shot, but I have a Home Depot LED light, 4000k about 150 watts. It was my kitchen light, the driver went out, and I cannot seem to find a replacement driver. Home Depot is no help, even though it’s their brand.
The lowest bidder built however many Home Depot wrote in the contract and slapped the HDX label on it before shipping to the store.

If you know someone who builds and/or repairs electrical equipment, not an electrician who wires buildings, you could ask if they know of a parts supplier. Otherwise let your fingers do the walking across a keyboard and do searches with your favorite search engine looking for places that sell parts. Kinda like you are looking for the place a builder of custom lighting fixtures would be going to for parts.

The biggest issue it that it's an odd size, the driver is about a 1'' square and about 7-8 inches long, but there's only about 3 inches of width for it to fit in. I can find one that has the same numbers EXCEPT, it's a 42, not a 42L (long), and it's too wide. I may have to relocate it to the top of the unit. It's a Hampton Bay, which is built for HD in China. They constantly change models, and as soon as they do, none of the parts for the old models are available.

Open up your driver, it may just have have a bad solder joint , like this one
Can't, the darn thing is tack welded together!!!

The biggest issue it that it's an odd size, the driver is about a 1'' square and about 7-8 inches long, but there's only about 3 inches of width for it to fit in. I can find one that has the same numbers EXCEPT, it's a 42, not a 42L (long), and it's too wide. I may have to relocate it to the top of the unit. It's a Hampton Bay, which is built for HD in China. They constantly change models, and as soon as they do, none of the parts for the old models are available.

you can mount the driver anywhere. just match up the specs and go with the cheapest one considering the app. mouser, digi-key, even amzon, will be your friend. any cheap chinese driver will do. or indian. india makes loads of drivers.

we repaired all kinds of led for ages. it doesn't have to be the driver it came with, just one that works.

i've replaced hlg mean wells with elg's which are a third the cost and have better warranties. they just don't have the same range of choices.

Well, it's already pooched - got a Dremel, lol?
Yeah, but I don’t wanna bleed! I’m about 95% sure it’s not a bum wire. After it didn’t come on, I forgot and a couple hours later flipped the switch again and it came on, then went out about ten minutes later. Never flickered, it was all or nothing. Came on a couple more times, but always went dark within ten minutes.

Yeah, but I don’t wanna bleed! I’m about 95% sure it’s not a bum wire. After it didn’t come on, I forgot and a couple hours later flipped the switch again and it came on, then went out about ten minutes later. Never flickered, it was all or nothing. Came on a couple more times, but always went dark within ten minutes.

how expensive is the fixture ? it may not be worth your time. they're selling 50w starter leds at home despot here.

how expensive is the fixture ? it may not be worth your time. they're selling 50w starter leds at home despot here.
At best it was $130. I may have found a driver on e-bay, $20. Waiting for a reply from the seller as to it’s comparability. I guess it’s just me, but we throw too much stuff away, that could be fixed.

At best it was $130. I may have found a driver on e-bay, $20. Waiting for a reply from the seller as to it’s comparability. I guess it’s just me, but we throw too much stuff away, that could be fixed.

that's still cheaper. i'd check though. a tube type led fixture and ballast is in the $30 - $50 range. things have changed in the last few yrs. i'd look now for sales too, they sell them along the regular outdoor garden season.

I'd open it up , the only reason I looked inside was cause he told me if he squished the driver it would work for a while
with out a good solder joint when the components heat up expansion & contraction make them move. could be why it works for a bit & then dies when heats up.
Don't cost nothing but time to open it up, use a hammer & chisel if you have to

And if you don't find any thing loose I would check the dimmer

Swollen capacitor?

So, I peeled the casing off (only bled a little), only to find that the whole board, wires, and components are covered in a solid rubber coating. Can't see the circuit board, or even where the wires go. It took 10 minutes to peel off a very small section and it still far from clean. It's a goner!! My e-bay driver possibility won't work. Looks like it's headed for the trash.

Back
Top Bottom