Garden lime?

No dude leave that alone… so you know better than the science guys over Fox Farms that work to ensure a consistent product lineup that meets the guarantee analysis specs they have printed on each bag or bottle?

They’ve got a reputation to protect…
No sure don’t know better that’s y I’m asking I was thinking bout mixing some dr earth amendments and let the “cook” for the next couple weeks til I get one ready to put in there didn’t know if lime was needed or not? Will dr earth tomato and vegetable and down to earth 444 be okay to amend my happy frog with?

No dude I’d say leave that one alone…

Gonna sound harsh but…. So you know better than science guys over Fox Farms that work to ensure a consistent product lineup that meets guaranteed analysis specs they have printed on each bag or bottle?

They are serious about it and have a reputation to protect…I’d trust there products
Are you a science guy at fox farm? lol and that’s y I ask before I act I want to get others who is more experienced in it than myself. Not saying I know better than any scientist anywhere but putting ideas I’ve seen out there to see if they are worth trying. And I thought we established this the first reply a simple nah man bad idea would have gotten the point across and did just fine. But it’s kool I’m hardheaded so maybe that is what it takes for me to not fuck it all up.

Are you a science guy at fox farm? lol and that’s y I ask before I act I want to get others who is more experienced in it than myself. Not saying I know better than any scientist anywhere but putting ideas I’ve seen out there to see if they are worth trying.
I have the feeling that what @013 is trying to do is preventing you from adding something without having a reason to do it. Trying out the ideas that are out there can be helpful and often fun when they go right.

But when done just as a way to see if it is a good idea often turns out to be a bad idea that results in having to start over. Often better to do at least one grow following the instructions for the soil and for the fertilizers before starting to make changes.

Experimenting is an interesting part of gardening and involves some questions and answers. Ask yourself what the Lime will do if it is added. Ask yourself what you hope for if you did add the Garden-Lime? And, ask yourself what you are trying to change with the addition of the Lime?

The big thing is that if Lime, or just about every other plant nutrient, was added and a problem develops is it because of the addition or something else? Will you be able to get help if something in the grow started going wrong?

I think it would mess with your pH

On the veg plot I have a 3yr crop rotation system > manure [legumes] > mulch/ [root crops] > lime [brassicas], applied end of autumn for the following year's crops

Manure/compost is generally acidic, so over a couple of seasons the soil becomes too acidic for brassica, and depleted of sufficient Ca, Mg, N

Never apply compost and lime at the same time because minerals can become bound/unavailable, so on that basis, no I would not add it

I get you are aiming to learn & improve your grow, and I definitely respect that.

So the real answer is if it’s bagged soil then put it in a container and water it in with mycos two weeks ahead of time… then let it dry naturally. At the time you are ready to up-pot said plant you hit it with mycos again. We are just using water & mycos to wake up the microlife in the soil

But yes you bet- if you are using 4-4-4 you can add measure of that in.

I didn’t mean to sound all sarcastic & shit but point is it’s real easy to turn a good soil into a Frankenmix.

As for learning and the only safe way to experiment… that’s where clones come in. Now you have two plants with exact same genetics, go ahead and flower the mom out but raise up the clones to experiment. First plant you run as straight up plain jane that’s your control plant and the second one is where you experiment with garden lime or whatevs suits your curiosity.

They say lime takes a while to act after application.
I ran into that sort of thing years ago. A few of our lawn maintenance customers would complain about their lawn no longer growing and looking the way they wanted. Eventually they would mention that they had been spreading lime every couple of months hoping that it would do something for the lawn and garden areas.

After about 3 or 4 applications the first one started to kick in and by then it was too late.

Though that was not as bad as the homeowners who would spread Urea on their front lawn at three or four times the listed rate. They did not realize what the NPK of 45-0-0 meant.

Back
Top Bottom