First attempt at gummies. Mixture never lost it's foam

cfarris87

Found a simple video I like and got everything I needed.
(it's only like 6 mins if you wanna scan through it) I liked that her process doesn't involve any boiling of the cannaoil that can burn off the THC. Almost all of the other videos I saw had some element of boiling the mixture with the cannaoil. However I don't have a double boiler or a glass mixing bowl. I'm skeptical that this is where my problem may lie. I'm a great cook, but I'm not super smart with candy stuff. I did have a metal mixing bowl and a very thin wok type pan that I tried for "double boiler". Placed it over boiling/simmering water for a make shift double boiler. The pan clocked a little higher temps so I stuck with that one. Between 160-170f. Here's the recipe and process I used.

Added 1/2 cannaoil (extra virgin olive oil) and 2 tbsp sunflower lecithin to my "double boiler"
1 cup Hawaiian punch
1 Kool-Aid pack
2 tbsp sugar
Mixed up and separated into 2 1/2's of juice
4 packs Knox gelatin into one 1/2 cup and set to the side to bloom
Simmer the other 1/2 cup of juice and add 1 pack of jello
Once combined I added the mixture into the double boiler and began mixing for about 20 mins.
This is where my issue started. No matter how much I mixed I could not get past the foam stage. Finally said 'f it' and added the gelatin I had set aside.
I mixed this for another 15 mins and it did get a little clearer but the picture below is as clear as it would get. The video is crystal clear and smooth. The only deviation from the video I can see is her double boiling technique. Perhaps the temp was too low? I know double boilers usually stay between 200-212 or whatever. Would the extra temp have solved my issue here or am I missing something?
It's setting now, so we'll see how it turned out in a couple hours. I filled about 75 molds with it and just poured the rest on some parchment paper to cut up later. Those little cheap droppers that came with my molds wouldn't cut it quick enough as it started to get way too thick to work with as it was cooling.
Any advice or ideas would be super helpful before I try another batch!
Cheers!

459155228_1070633221358878_3864262586435418494_n.jpg

Found a simple video I like and got everything I needed.
(it's only like 6 mins if you wanna scan through it) I liked that her process doesn't involve any boiling of the cannaoil that can burn off the THC. Almost all of the other videos I saw had some element of boiling the mixture with the cannaoil. However I don't have a double boiler or a glass mixing bowl. I'm skeptical that this is where my problem may lie. I'm a great cook, but I'm not super smart with candy stuff. I did have a metal mixing bowl and a very thin wok type pan that I tried for "double boiler". Placed it over boiling/simmering water for a make shift double boiler. The pan clocked a little higher temps so I stuck with that one. Between 160-170f. Here's the recipe and process I used.

Added 1/2 cannaoil (extra virgin olive oil) and 2 tbsp sunflower lecithin to my "double boiler"
1 cup Hawaiian punch
1 Kool-Aid pack
2 tbsp sugar
Mixed up and separated into 2 1/2's of juice
4 packs Knox gelatin into one 1/2 cup and set to the side to bloom
Simmer the other 1/2 cup of juice and add 1 pack of jello
Once combined I added the mixture into the double boiler and began mixing for about 20 mins.
This is where my issue started. No matter how much I mixed I could not get past the foam stage. Finally said 'f it' and added the gelatin I had set aside.
I mixed this for another 15 mins and it did get a little clearer but the picture below is as clear as it would get. The video is crystal clear and smooth. The only deviation from the video I can see is her double boiling technique. Perhaps the temp was too low? I know double boilers usually stay between 200-212 or whatever. Would the extra temp have solved my issue here or am I missing something?
It's setting now, so we'll see how it turned out in a couple hours. I filled about 75 molds with it and just poured the rest on some parchment paper to cut up later. Those little cheap droppers that came with my molds wouldn't cut it quick enough as it started to get way too thick to work with as it was cooling.
Any advice or ideas would be super helpful before I try another batch!
Cheers!

459155228_1070633221358878_3864262586435418494_n.jpg
Hi. Here is a recipe that @Justin Goody shared with us a few years ago. So much easier than what you are doing, they have a great texture, and you can swap the measurements for the oil and water depending on the strength you like. Enjoy! EDIT: to add, I mix the liquid sunflower lecithin into my infused oil/tincture after it cools a bit.

You'll need:
1 pkg sugar free jello mix (0.6 oz size)
1pkg regular (with sugar) jello mix (3 oz size)
2 packets plain gelatin
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup infused oil

Put all the dry ingredients in a pan, add the water and corn syrup.

Heat it on medium heat,stirring constantly,till it just starts to boil around the edges.

All the powdered stuff should be well dissolved before adding the oil...

Add the oil and keep stirring till it just starts to boil again,then remove from the heat.

At this point,you're gonna say "this shit aint working-the oil is just floating on top"

So, to remedy this, you keep stirring while the mixture cools just a little- as it cools it will thicken up a bit,
and the oil will start to mix in- this is what you want.
Once all the oil is mixed in, it's time to make some gummies...

Now, you need to hurry just a little so it doesn't set up before you get it into the molds.

Pour the mix into a squirt bottle (put a glove on,it's hot) , fill your gummy molds,and stick them in the freezer.

At this point,you're gonna say "this shit aint working-the oil is just floating on top"
🤣🤣 Thank you for adding the most important part of the process lmao And thanks for the link! That does look much easier than the science experiment I just took part of. I'll give this approach a go next round! How's the flavor with those? These still have quite a pronounced cannaoil flavor to them despite the juice and kool-aid pack. I did have to sacrifice for just regular lemon jello though. Nobody close carries the Starburst jello that I've seen a lot of people recommend.

🤣🤣 Thank you for adding the most important part of the process lmao And thanks for the link! That does look much easier than the science experiment I just took part of. I'll give this approach a go next round! How's the flavor with those? These still have quite a pronounced cannaoil flavor to them despite the juice and kool-aid pack. I did have to sacrifice for just regular lemon jello though. Nobody close carries the Starburst jello that I've seen a lot of people recommend.
Yeah, I turn off the heat and let it cool for a couple of minutes and then whisk it really good. I use cherry and black cherry or strawberry jello and have no issues with the flavor. I use MCT oil in my oil gummies and the texture and set time is great!

Back
Top Bottom