Extension cords with lights?

HollanderCA

I have a problem with the distance of my grow space to my outlets if i get the proper extension cords like heavy duty or industrial can i get away with this or is this dangerous....my cords are about 15 feet but i need probley another 10ft added to that to reach the room..also the outlet im goin to be using is a 4 prong meaning a 4 outlet jack in the basement and that would be basically it besides my set up power and what not...what do you guys think?

So long as the equipment you're using is RATED for the load you are pulling. I like to do 2x the rating, of what I'm using just to be safe.

Oh, and make sure it's UL listed. Don't get cheap on the stuff that can catch your house on fire.

Ya, go way over what you really need, and remember that the farther you are trying to move electricity, the more resistance you will have.

So, go for a bigger pipe: Lower gauge wires are larger, and heat up slower, so when they are stressed by a short and are carrying their capacity, IE the max amps on the circuit, usually 15 or 20 for most household breakers, they will not melt and cause a fire.

Most extension cords can carry up to 600 volts of differential, much more than the 115-120 that comes out of a standard outlet. So, it's not really about the volts, it is the total amperage that the circuit may have to take that is really the question, but because of resistance, a 20 foot length of 16 gauge cord, while rated for about 15 amps, might have a problem if it was longer, say if two of the same cord were connected together. At 40 feet total, the maximum amperage that the cords can take is not the same... fires are no fun for anyone.

For example, for each circuit I have comming out of one outlet (really, 2 per gang box of course) I use a length of extension cord no longer that what I need, about 15 feet, and each cord is rated for 15 amps, because regardless of where the sort occurs, the circuit will have to pull about 15 amps to trigger the circuit breaker, and if my cord can not handle that amperage for at least a second or two, it might cause a fire, even if the breaker tripped and killed the circuit.

:peace:

That kinda distance on a 15 breaker can be covered with a number 12 conductor easy, hope this helps and feel free to ask any other Electrical questions!!!

Yup , looks like you are golden, you know your watts which in turn is heat, so long as you don't put over 1625 on the cord you are ok, the length here is not an issue.
Have fun

i forgot to add its 1 of those 4 prong outlet sockets if that makes sense sorry guys im definatley not that strong in the electrical field.

This concerns me. What do you mean by "four prong"? Can you take a picture of it?

i cant right now i kinda said that wrong i meant its a outlet that has 4 sockets for whatever...then right next to this outlet is a 10inch cord going into the breaker..so picture a square with 4 outlets i hope you get what im saying if you give me a day or to ill put photos up...i really want to be safe with this.

i cant right now i kinda said that wrong i meant its a outlet that has 4 sockets for whatever...then right next to this outlet is a 10inch cord going into the breaker..so picture a square with 4 outlets i hope you get what im saying if you give me a day or to ill put photos up...i really want to be safe with this.

I understand what you mean with the four outlets in one box. what I can't picture is this 10 inch cord from the outlet box to the breaker. is this a physical cord from the outlet box to the panel or is the box attached to the panel with wires internally connected to a breaker? I will help you make this safe if you work with me.....

overlay-round.gif

Back
Top Bottom