Ducting Question for Cool Tube! Help!

celticseas

Hi,

I have a grow tent which is a 3x3x6.5 model. I've just ordered a 600 watt cool tube and need to get some ducting; challenge is what size to buy. My set up looks like this:

Fan — 5"
Port holes — 5"
Carbon filter — 4"
Cool Tube — 6"

Three different sizes I know, kind of sucks. I can't really afford to buy another filter or fan (unless I have too). I suppose my choices then would be to either cut a larger hole in the tent and go for 6" ducting, or use reducers and go 5". My question is would there be a big difference as far as ventilation between 5" flex and 6" flex? Which would you recommend? I am new to this and need to decide here pretty quickly, so any advice you could offer would be great.

Thank you,
Celticseas

Re: Ducting Question for Cool Tube !!Help!!

What I am currently using is one mixed flow inline fan, 162 CFM. I am sorry I neglected to mention that.

Re: Ducting Question for Cool Tube !!Help!!

I'm gonna have to get one or two of those cool tube fixtures. I'm running 500 watts MH in a 20" x 36" x 62" tent (2-250 watt open reflectors) and I had to add another fan because a 4" 170 cfm fan only got the tent down to 112 degrees (the tent is hidden inside a closet and insulated all around). The HPS bulbs I have aren't as hot. Those tubes would save me a little money in electricity and spare me having to hear a lot of noise. Good luck, celticseas.

I had a cheaper tent one time 2x4x5 when I had started my second grow...the vents were only 4" I personally cut the hole bigger. I just bought a 6" flange and connected it to the tent then cut out the portion of the tent on the inside of the flange and connected the inside peice of duct to the flange with a ducting clamp then connected a peice on the outside of the flange with another clamp and ran the outside peice to my exhaust space... If it were me I'd get the 4" to 6" adapter for the carbon filter to connect properly on the 6" ducting and just duct tape around the lip of the fan enough to to bring the outside diamter of the lip to where the 6" duct can be connected tightly with a clamp and the connect a 6" flange to the tent and cut out the inside portion of the tent that's inside the flange so everything would be on 6" ducting with the cool tube

Hi there,
Thank you for your response. What I've done bought a new 6" filter and fan (440 cfm). I do plan on cutting a larger 6" hole in the tent, can't see anyway around that. I still don't quite understand how the ducting hooks up to the outside, the ones I've seen only the male end on one side. Not sure about ducting either, insulated or non-insulated, if that makes a difference.

if you are running the duct through a unheated space to get out doors the pipe should be insulated in that area to stop condensation.in the winter I run the exhaust from the cool tubes into the house to take advantage of the heat.

Yea u got to use one on the inside and one on the outside just make sure you connect them good sorry I forgot 2 mention this the first time

So there are two male ends then, one on the inside and one on the outside, and the ducting fits over the them? Can I ask you where you bought them?
Thanks!!

No its two separate flanges one inside and one outside like this flange-tent-flange and connect them together and to the tent have them back to back with the tent in between. I duct taped a circle on the tent where the holes would be then i put one flange on the tent and drilled holes through the tent where the holes in the flange are then lined both flanges up with the corresponding holes in the tent and zip tied them together

Back
Top Bottom