Do these plants look healthy?

SwitzerGrows

420 Member
This is my first season growing. I have an indica and a sativa clone along with a hybrid from seed.
I'm doing everything right as far as I know. I've done tons and tons of research and reading books on growing.
I'm using fox farm ocean blend soil. Foxfarm trio fertilizer (only the two for veg stage right now) on a water, feed, water, feed cycle, about every 4 to 5 days, along with cal-mag because I'm using reverse osmosis water. I pH my water to 6 everytime I feed or water them. They get about 9 hours direct sunlight everyday and then the rest of the 5+ hours they sit in the window so they don't get heat stressed during the hottest part of the day.
My concern is how the leaves are kinda in a V shape instead of relaxed. I can't tell if they are healthy and just reaching for sun, or if this constitutes as "tacoing" indicating heat stress or cal mag deficiency. I personally think they look happy and don't think they are folding enough to constitute as tacoing.

20240530_153811.jpg

20240526_185511.jpg

To me they look fine other than slightly heat/light stressed.... I wouldn't go chasing a solution unless things get more noticable/worse.

Good job and good luck on your first grow season.

This is my first season growing. I have an indica and a sativa clone along with a hybrid from seed.
I'm doing everything right as far as I know. I've done tons and tons of research and reading books on growing.
I'm using fox farm ocean blend soil. Foxfarm trio fertilizer (only the two for veg stage right now) on a water, feed, water, feed cycle, about every 4 to 5 days, along with cal-mag because I'm using reverse osmosis water. I pH my water to 6 everytime I feed or water them. They get about 9 hours direct sunlight everyday and then the rest of the 5+ hours they sit in the window so they don't get heat stressed during the hottest part of the day.
My concern is how the leaves are kinda in a V shape instead of relaxed. I can't tell if they are healthy and just reaching for sun, or if this constitutes as "tacoing" indicating heat stress or cal mag deficiency. I personally think they look happy and don't think they are folding enough to constitute as tacoing.

20240530_153811.jpg

20240526_185511.jpg
Lovely girls my friend, welcome to 420Magazine. :welcome:
They actually do look slightly hungry to me.:Namaste:
But that could be because of the bright sunlight, the other pic looks fine.
Shape and growth looks good.
Just wondering are you removing leaves, some are missing in the bottom pic?
If you want to say Hi and meet everyone here is a link.
Happy growing.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Looking good for the most part but I have to go along with @Bill284's thoughts that they "look slightly hungry", especially the one in the 1st photo.

Foxfarm trio fertilizer (only the two for veg stage right now)....
Are you using the two at the recommended dose? These particular plants are fast growing and heavy feeders so they often demand more than most pots of soils can provide until additional fertilizers can be added.

They get about 9 hours direct sunlight everyday and then the rest of the 5+ hours they sit in the window so they don't get heat stressed during the hottest part of the day.
I understand why you are doing this but keep in mind that these plants have grown in full sun long before humans showed up. My recommendation would be to leave them outside and put them somewhere with light shade or what is called 'dappled shade' during the time of day that might cause some problems.

Even light shade outside is better than the non-shaded sunlight that comes through window glass or plastic.

Enjoy the day.

Are you using the two at the recommended dose? These particular plants are fast growing and heavy feeders so they often demand more than most pots of soils can provide until additional fertilizers can be added.
Actually I'm only using half doses at the moment because I just transplanted them into fresh soil which comes preloaded with nutrients and I was told that I should do half doses at first. I was over watering them when i first got them and didnt know i was suppose to let the dirt dry out in between waterings, now that i know that, i have been waiting for the soil to dry out and it seems like its taking FOREVER to dry out, like more then 4 days. I dont know if maybe i saturated them so much that i waterlogged the roots. But my aunt has clones from the same guy except hers are planted in the ground. She feeds and waters them every other day and they are doing great.

Just wondering are you removing leaves, some are missing in the bottom pic?
Yes, I was removing leaves. The small one I started from seed I topped it a little to early but it is doing really good now. And the other one, the indica or the medium size one we can call it, I clipped off a bunch of leaves when I first got it like an idiot. They are all doing really good as of right now. I plan on feeding them a full dose next time the pots dry out. I want to put them outside full time is my plan but I am going to wait until they are a bit bigger. I'm worried about the heavy rains we get here in Michigan.

Wanted to say "Welcome to the group." You will find a lot of help from the others here. Best to keep in mind that sometimes it will conflict since we tend to mention what works for ourselves...but in the end it will balance and work out.

I want to put them outside full time is my plan but I am going to wait until they are a bit bigger.
If you put them outside and leave them there then two things will happen. One is that they will become used to being out there and living in the sunshine, being there on cloudy days, on hot days, on cold days and even during the occasional very cold night. This is often referred to as "hardening off the plant".

The other thing that will happen is that the plants will grow faster, the leaves will get larger and the overall size of the plant will be larger.

I'm worried about the heavy rains we get here in Michigan.
We do not get that many heavy rains here in Michigan; certainly not enough to worry about. The last really heavy rain that I remember, about 4.5 inches here in southeast MI, was back in August of 2014. Otherwise a heavy rain will be about 1 inch over several hours. The average rainfall is not enough to keep an outdoor pot of soil damp for more than a day or two if the plant is actively growing. IOW, do not worry about heavy rain and instead be ready for the dry periods when it does not rain and the pots might have to be watered at least once a day.

Though, if the plants get 4 feet or higher, from the soil line up to the top, might loose a branch or two in really strong winds. When that happens they usually are barely attached but can be supported and taped up. Many times they will survive and keep growing.

There is a sub-forum here on this message board for members from Michigan. You could stop by and say hello....
The general Michigan forum is here: https://www.420magazine.com/community/forums/michigan.244/

and the message thread to say "hello" is this one...
https://www.420magazine.com/community/threads/michigan-growers-unite.461373/

Most people do not know that these sub-forums are there so they get less traffic than they should so if you stop by it might perk up some interest;).

Yes, I was removing leaves. The small one I started from seed I topped it a little to early but it is doing really good now. And the other one, the indica or the medium size one we can call it, I clipped off a bunch of leaves when I first got it like an idiot. They are all doing really good as of right now. I plan on feeding them a full dose next time the pots dry out. I want to put them outside full time is my plan but I am going to wait until they are a bit bigger. I'm worried about the heavy rains we get here in Michigan.
She gets her energy to grow big from her fan leaves.
Removing them in veg can have a negative effect.
I concentrate on growing roots and let her flourish.
Just 2 cents.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Back
Top Bottom