Czar Says Medical Marijuana 'dying'

GoldChico

The White House drug czar said Friday that medical marijuana is "dying out" after the Supreme Court ruled earlier this year that federal authorities may prosecute sick people whose doctors prescribe pot to ease pain.

John Walters, the national drug policy director, said state legislative efforts to expand medical marijuana programs have stalled in the two months since the high court's ruling overrode laws in Hawaii and nine other states.

"I think it's dying out," Walters told reporters after a meeting with Hawaii drug treatment counselors and law enforcement officials. "The real issue here is, is it the safe and best way for medical treatment? We don't think the best thing for people who are really sick is to make them high and send them away."

Walters said the federal government was funding research into whether cannabis could be used as a source of "medically sound" drugs, but he said "smoked marijuana hasn't met that science."

Steve Kubby, national director of the American Medical Marijuana Association, objected to Walters' remark, saying there are "hundreds" of peer-reviewed scientific studies showing clear medical benefits from cannabis.

"The drug czar has blood on his hands for blocking the humane and medical use of cannabis for sick, disabled and dying people," Kubby said.

Kubby, a force behind the passage of a California proposition that legalized pot clubs, said marijuana can help treat nausea, pain, arthritis and cancer.

Source: Washington Post (DC)
Copyright: 2005 The Washington Post Company

I would like 5 minutes alone with John Walters. Man would I kick his face in.......

It's really bad to wish something upon somebody. However, I think it would be interesting for Walters to get ill and be doped up on pain killers. Then we will see just how much he believes in marijauana not being a proper medicine.

Pain killers take away your life, they make you a zombie. Then they stop working as well and you have to take more and more until you are dependant. I hate pills for treatment of chronic pain. Why is the goverment so blind.

Back
Top Bottom