Changes Expected To Ohio House's Proposal To Legalize Medical Marijuana

Robert Celt

The head of the Ohio House panel considering legislation to legalize medical marijuana said April 28 that changes to the proposed law changes likely will be offered in coming days.

Rep. Kirk Schuring (R-Canton), chairman of the Select Committee on Medical Marijuana, said he expected a substitute version of HB 523 next week.

"I've been getting input from the committee, also from witnesses," Schuring said following the committee's sixth hearing on the bill. "In addition to that, I've had conversations with the administration and the Senate. So we're endeavoring to come up with a substitute bill that hopefully we will be able to unveil sometime next week, and then we'll see what the consensus is from that point."

Lawmakers have voting sessions scheduled through May, with as-needed dates available in early June. That leaves half a dozen or so weeks for the Ohio House and Senate to come to an agreement on a medical marijuana package – and one that Gov. John Kasich would be willing to sign into law.

Schuring said he's hopeful there's time to complete the process before lawmakers' summer recess.

"We've been communicating with the administration and the Senate, so this substitute bill in large part also will be with input from both the administration and the Senate," he said, adding, "We've learned a lot from the testimony. The committee has been offering their suggestions. I've been trying to stay in constant communication with the administration and the Senate. Sometime next week, there will be a substitute bill."

Schuring offered the update following the April 28 hearing, which included comments from the Ohio Chamber of Commerce and the Ohio Chemistry Technology Council, which urged lawmakers to ensure employer protections and drug-free workplace provisions remained in the bill and were strengthened.

The hearing also included testimony from medical marijuana patients, who hope to convince lawmakers to allow home-grown medical marijuana, safe haven policies to allow patients to use the drug while the state completes the up-to-two-year implementation process and other changes.

Among the latter was Nicole Scholten, director of a parental advocacy group working to legalize medical marijuana. She testified with her daughter, Lucy, who has drug-resistant epilepsy.

"I understand that you have no small job of regulating," she said. "And that you may have worry about how this will play out and how you may be judged. I believe in my heart that even if you may not fully recognize it now, you will be on the right side of history by helping to usher in a promising treatment for some of our most difficult to treat disorders and the real people who have them."

Among other provisions, HB 523 calls for a new Medical Marijuana Control Commission to develop the rules for the cultivation, processing, retail sale and licensure of related businesses. The process would have to be completed within two years.

The panel would decide any related fees, determine the number of cultivator and dispensary licenses, establish a registry to track patients and their medical conditions, and specify which forms of medical marijuana would be allowed. Medical marijuana use would have to be directed by a licensed physician.

Bags_of_bud2.jpg

News Moderator: Robert Celt 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Changes Expected To Ohio House's Proposal To Legalize Medical Marijuana
Author: Staff
Photo Credit: Justin Sullivan

Back
Top Bottom