Best way to lower temp and humidity in 4x4 tent with a scrog?

Lovie

I live on the east coast where it is hot and humid this time of year. I also live in an old house with drafty windows, poorly insulated, and the central air unit doesn't meet the house's needs. I have a 4x4 tent that is upstairs, the hottest part of the house. We use a/c window units to help cool the upstairs but it still gets hot, and humid.

I switched the light schedule to 12/12 last week. I have a scrog. My question is what is the best way to lower the humidity and temp? I looked at small dehumidifiers and small portable a/c units last night but since I have a scrog I don't know where to put them. I thought about hanging them above the canopy, but my lights weigh 40 lbs. I don't know how much weight the tent can support and I figure even a small dehumidifier filled with water will still have some weight to it. Any suggestions would be great!

All you can do is try to aircon the room the tent is in, the lung room
A dehuey does give off heat though, so maybe a combined unit would work?

All you can do is try to aircon the room the tent is in, the lung room
A dehuey does give off heat though, so maybe a combined unit would work?
This is my first grow. I made a rookie mistake putting the tent upstairs during the summer. I have 2 a/c window units running upstairs and during the day it still gets hot up there. Even during the winter, if the sun is out, it gets hot up there. After harvest, I am going to move the tent downstairs for drying but I need to figure out something for mid to late flower.

I just came across Boveda Packs to help with the humidity. I was wondering if anyone has used them to control the humidity in a tent, and if so, how well did they work.

I also had another thought come to mind after making this post. I was thinking about getting a small A/C unit and setting it up on the outside of the tent, then trying to vent the cold air into the tent using air ducting. I don't know how well that would work.....but I need to figure out a solution within the next week or 2.

Boveda packs are only good for tubs/jars curing, they'll do nothing in a room
Your last idea is probably best

Boveda packs are only good for tubs/jars curing, they'll do nothing in a room
Your last idea is probably best
I just had another thought too. I am a week into the flip. My plants aren't too tangled into the scrog net yet. Maybe I should move the tent downstairs now? Or am I asking for trouble trying to move the plants at this point?

I just had another thought too. I am a week into the flip. My plants aren't too tangled into the scrog net yet. Maybe I should move the tent downstairs now? Or am I asking for trouble trying to move the plants at this point?
Hell yeah, if you can move them - don't see any problem with that

I just came across Boveda Packs to help with the humidity. I was wondering if anyone has used them to control the humidity in a tent, and if so, how well did they work.
They are designed to lower or raise the humidity in small areas. Cigar smokers will use them to help keep the humidity in the right range in smaller box style humidors.

The ones you came across are probably the size used to control the humidity in pint, quart and half-gallon glass canning jars used by many to store their harvest after it has been dried and cured.

I am a week into the flip. My plants aren't too tangled into the scrog net yet. Maybe I should move the tent downstairs now? Or am I asking for trouble trying to move the plants at this point?
Go for it. When all is said and done it is sounding like the best option based on what you have said about the house. If that room is not properly and completely insulated there will be little that even several air-conditioners will be able to do.

Even if you accidentally break a branch or two it is nothing compared to what you will have to go through if you leave the plants in that room.

What about using some flexible duct tubing and pointing the outside end toward the air conditioner? I do this (covering the end with a cloth pot to prevent light from going through).

What about using some flexible duct tubing and pointing the outside end toward the air conditioner? I do this (covering the end with a cloth pot to prevent light from going through).
I was considering doing that but I think it will probably be best to moving the tent downstairs. We get days where the outside temp hits triple digits, and that is before the heat index. And even when the temp is in the 90s with the heat index it will get to triple digits or close to it. The temp in the upstairs room with the tent is well into the 80s and high humidity during the day.....and I have 2 decent size window A/C units up there.

They are designed to lower or raise the humidity in small areas. Cigar smokers will use them to help keep the humidity in the right range in smaller box style humidors.

The ones you came across are probably the size used to control the humidity in pint, quart and half-gallon glass canning jars used by many to store their harvest after it has been dried and cured.

Go for it. When all is said and done it is sounding like the best option based on what you have said about the house. If that room is not properly and completely insulated there will be little that even several air-conditioners will be able to do.

Even if you accidentally break a branch or two it is nothing compared to what you will have to go through if you leave the plants in that room.
All I got to say is.......I can't wait to move out of this house!

I can understand. We lived in an apartment above a small neighborhood grocery store that was miserable in the summer and downright frigid in the winter.
Funny enough the winter isn't too bad. If the sun is out, it's warm up there. I am assuming that is due to not enough insulation in the attic. At night a space heater is enough......but I like it very cold when I sleep so others may not like it as much as I do. We love the location. We have the benefits of country living and privacy but are less than 5 minutes from a major highway and anything we could need. We are doing a rent with the option to buy. The original plan was to have the house torn down and a new one built. We still owe too much to get a loan that would pay the balance we already owe and cover the tear down and construction of a new house. I recently learned I have developed asthma and this house has mold which was triggering my asthma. I am now on asthma medication and we are running a lot of air purifiers so I can breathe again but we got to get out of here.

Back
Top Bottom