Setup - Ebb & Flow
Light - 250 Watt HPS
Nutrients - Ionic
Medium - Grodan Rockwool
PH - 6
RH - 25%
Room Temperature -27 - 29 C

Problem:
I just planted the germinated seedlings into the larger rockwool squares to integrate into a hyrdo system with 250w light for vegging. this morning, i thought the pump was too loud and investigated, but i accidentally dropped the plastic lid onto the small plants, and the have all got a slight kink in their stems now, not snapped tho. should i dump these and regerminate new ones, or leave these to see if they will survive?

Im on a tight schedule as i need the grow finished before the beginning of july as i go away.

Also, i think my temperatures are too high, but not sure how to bring them down, i have a fan blowing in from outside thru the vents, and a clip on fan inside the tent. The 250w lamp has the ballast inside with it (i have a 400w lamp with separate ballast for flowering. The 250w is about 2 feet (60 cm) from the plants and the digital temp meter is covered with some cardboard and reads 28.3c. Do i need an intake fan?

any help would be greatly appreciated as i feel really rotten about kinking the little guys. :(

Re: A few questions and problems..

They should be fine. You will know in a day or two.

You need an exhaust fan. One that can MOVE some air. Sucking the air out of the tent.

Thanks for replying. I have an exhaust and filter already in the tent. could it be the 250w light? its a new bulb but the ballast is built into the light, its a bit old and gets hot. i have the baby plants under 16/8 for now, see how they look tomorrow i guess. If they survive, what should i expect? less yield, or weak plant?

thanks again.

Thanks daraldo, ive got them under lights until tomorrow to see if they wilt, or survive. i dropped the thin cover for the hydro tray onto them. :( the tent is in a large cupboard, and think theres prob not enuff cool fresh air even with the door open. i have a 4" systemair exhaust with rhino filter. i think i need a proper fresh air inline duct fan at the bottom of the tent...? or replace the light

Passive vents at the bottom of the tent usually are enough if your exhaust fan is powerful enough.
With the tent closed up and the fan running the sides should suck in slightly, if not your fan probably isn't
moving enough air. The ballast inside the tent adds more heat so the fan is even more important.
Keep in mind you need to vent the hot air out of the room the tent is in.

thanks oldman60. The exhaust air is being extracted out of the room. I have 1 vent at the bottom wide open, with a fan blowing thru the vent from outside. should i close all vents up?

Any ideas what could happen to the kinked plants? weird growth, lack of yield etc?

ok, so the 3 young plants (what are they called in this phase?) seem to be ok despite their stalks being kinked (relief) i got the temperature at around 27.5 degrees c and humidity of 22% which is low, but im guessing all the ventilation is sucking all the moisture out. ive put a small bowl of water with a rag in it to see if it brings it up.

how long should the (seedlings) be under this 250w bulb, and when should i change over to the 400w one?

thanks.

Thanks daraldo,

They have been under the 250 for 9 days now. I've lowered the 250 to about 12" (31cm) from the tops of the plants (which seem to have made a full recovery) and i have the temp at 26-28 degrees c (78-82 f)

I thought they should be under this 250 vegging for 6-8 weeks, then switch to the 400w for flowering on 12/12?
But your saying put them under 400w now but still keep them at 18/6?

thanks.

Back
Top Bottom