72 hours of darkness

Madddogg

420 Member
Hello all
I am getting close to harvest and wanted to try 72 hours of darkness.
I have two different finishing strains growing and one is a week behind. They are both weaved into a scrog net.
My question is this. if I turn off the light for 72 hours,leaving both in the tent,
how would that affect the lady that’s a week behind in flower?

Well, I doubt she would love it, but she would survive. Q tho, why not just take the plants you want to harvest out of the tent away from the light? Also, what are you hoping to achieve by giving 3 days of darkness? Plants need light for food.

Thanks for the reply
The plants are weaved into a scog net.
There are different opinions concerning the increase of thc after shocking the plants this way.
If it won’t be detrimental to the late bloomer i will try it

Hello all
I have two different finishing strains growing and one is a week behind. They are both weaved into a scrog net.
My question is this. if I turn off the light for 72 hours,leaving both in the tent,
It's a good way to get mould and rot at the end of harvest. How are you planning on controlling the humidity and moisture? That's gonna be the biggest problem to no real gain.

Plants tissues don't "die" off directly when you cut them off the stem. Slow drying should take over a week and the plants tissues are still alive at that point. You don't do anything by adding 72h darkness that doesn't already happen during the drying process? It's Bro science that won't die! My two cents.

Cheers!

Hello all
I personally think 72 hrs is a bit much. I have many finished out plants sit in the dark for 18-24 hrs pre chop. And they do seem to have a stronger smell at trim time. The darkness & temps affect the overall "Smell" being the terpenes & canabinoids n such.

I personally think 72 hrs is a bit much. I have many finished out plants sit in the dark for 18-24 hrs pre chop. And they do seem to have a stronger smell at trim time. The darkness & temps affect the overall "Smell" being the terpenes & canabinoids n such.
Thanks for the info
I was looking for someone like yourself that has tried it and what their thoughts were as to the results.
ive Been a member for a few years but first time with a question and didn’t expect the down talking that I received from other members. Perhaps if they would take the time to read my question??

Thanks for the info
I was looking for someone like yourself that has tried it and what their thoughts were as to the results.
ive Been a member for a few years but first time with a question and didn’t expect the down talking that I received from other members. Perhaps if they would take the time to read my question??
No problem Gromie. It's known that cannabis terpenes "gas" off at around 73-75 degrees F. And terpene levels are always highest just before the light, or day begins. That's why some plants smell more stinky in the morning as opposed to just before light's out. Because the warmer daytime temps will naturally gas off terps. Then there built up a lil more each day during the dark period. So it makes sense that if the dark period upswells the terpene content, then leaving it 18, 24, or 36 hours in total darkness will just make the plant naturally keep the terpene and other cannabinoid's levels rising. Then El Chopo, stinky hanging dead buds. At least that's my understanding of it. Oh and try to hang dry between 65-70 degrees F. To as the same prevent terpene gas off. Hope that helps:passitleft::peace:

No problem Gromie. It's known that cannabis terpenes "gas" off at around 73-75 degrees F. And terpene levels are always highest just before the light, or day begins. That's why some plants smell more stinky in the morning as opposed to just before light's out. Because the warmer daytime temps will naturally gas off terps. Then there built up a lil more each day during the dark period. So it makes sense that if the dark period upswells the terpene content, then leaving it 18, 24, or 36 hours in total darkness will just make the plant naturally keep the terpene and other cannabinoid's levels rising. Then El Chopo, stinky hanging dead buds. At least that's my understanding of it. Oh and try to hang dry between 65-70 degrees F. To as the same prevent terpene gas off. Hope that helps:passitleft::peace:
Thanks for your information and insight.
Going to try 18 hours of darkness based on your info. ☮️

Thanks for the reply
The plants are weaved into a scog net.
There are different opinions concerning the increase of thc after shocking the plants this way.
If it won’t be detrimental to the late bloomer i will try it
There is no increase in thc with 72 hours darkness. That’s been proven. There may be a small increase in terpenes, but no more than just harvesting in the morning before the lights come on. I tried it once and all I got was a plant with very yellow leaves.

Back
Top Bottom