Nugget is turning brown after one day

HigherDrifter

It's been a little over a complete day since I clipped this test bud.

Gave it a good washing before setting it out to dry.

pan68.jpg

Re: Nugget is turning brown after one day.

Checked on this nugget this morning.

It's still quite a bit moist.

You'd think it would be unfit for smoking. :hmmmm:

But...

Took a little pinch of the nugget, stuck it in my pipe, torched it, and smoked it all the way down.

Got some good smoke.

Repeat.

Repeat.

Got some good bake too.

Wow.

Not bad at all.

:)

Re: Nugget is turning brown after one day.

Why did you rinse it with water? That may be why it turned brown?

Rinsed to help remove BT. I know BT's harmless, but, I'd rather not be smoking it. Heard it's good practice to give your buds a good spray-down with clean water before harvest anyways, regardless.

As to why it turned brown? Beats me...I dunno.

HigherDrifter said:
Rinsed to help remove BT. I know BT's harmless, but, I'd rather not be smoking it. Heard it's good practice to give your buds a good spray-down with clean water before harvest anyways, regardless.

As to why it turned brown? Beats me...I dunno.

Who told you that?

You probably washed a good portion of your trichomes off in the process! ;)

Whoever told you that doesn't know what they are talking about!

BAD ADVICE!

If you need to rinse a bud off, do it gently with a spray bottle of distilled water and do it at least three days before you harvest to allow the bud to dry off naturally.

However, spraying anything onto a flower bud will cause the pistils to turn red or brown and eventually shrivel up.

Best to avoid getting the buds wet at all if possible. I would NEVER suggest doing it as part of the harvesting process! :laughtwo:

Sent from my iPod touch using Forum Runner

Hey drifter I totally agree with Golden here... My man your two girls are SO FUCKIN AWESOME..that I hope you don't use some crappy advice to get them wet....let them be my man, they are a prize......:peace:

I think there's been some confusion here...

I never meant to include spray-washing the buds as a part of the harvest.

I did mention spray-washing before the harvest. I never included the days needed for letting dry. I figured a day was okay, but, if yall think 3 days is better, I'll give that a go.

This bit with washing my "test" nugget: I washed it after I picked it off the plant, and ran it under the microscope. I would never assume to mimick that for a regular harvest, no way.

My man your two girls are SO FUCKIN AWESOME..that I hope you don't use some crappy advice to get them wet....let them be my man, they are a prize

I just can't let them be. I aint gonna let them fucking worms destroy my crop like they did last year. I've been lucky enough to stop what could have been an infestation. I was beginning to worry there for a moment. I've plucked a few of the worms off the entire plant. I haven't seen any more worms for close to a week now and I've been out looking for worms everyday. I still might do one more spray down with BT. Still plenty of time left for more worms to appear - we got lots of moths around here and any one of them could be laying their eggs on my plants.

I know it's not going to hurt them to get a little wet. I have had to get them wet with spraying the BT on them and I'll have to get them wet again to wash the BT off (3 days before harvest :thumb:).

It's not like I'm gonna use the hose and my thumb to wash them down with. I've got a 2-gallon commercial sprayer that I'll fill up with distilled water and give the plant (NOT PLANTS CANNAVINCE -- Only got one now) a really good, misty shower.

I missed that part about your buds being infested with worms! That's different!

Obviously you need to do what you can to save your crop so whatever that takes you should do it!

My main point was that you should avoid getting them wet and definitely not deliberately hose them down as a matter of course. If the plants get rained on or something lik that, a few days in the dry weather should dry them out without having to do anything else. And yes... the buds won't be ruined from getting wet a few times.

My outdoor only plants usually get rained on at least once before I harvest them in early October. I've never had a problem with quality or potency as a result.

My outdoor only plants usually get rained on at least once before I harvest them in early October. I've never had a problem with quality or potency as a result.

Funny you mentioned "early October".

Looks like early October is when my buds will be ready for harvest.

I've got Sunday, October 2nd, marked, first, as the estimated date of harvest and that it's the 10th week of total flowering.

May go beyond October 2nd...I dunno. Still seeing predominantly milky trichs. Very few amber or darker...less than 1% of all the mic'd trichs I've seen so far.

Funny you mentioned "early October".

Looks like early October is when my buds will be ready for harvest.

I've got Sunday, October 2nd, marked, first, as the estimated date of harvest and that it's the 10th week of total flowering.

May go beyond October 2nd...I dunno. Still seeing predominantly milky trichs. Very few amber or darker...less than 1% of all the mic'd trichs I've seen so far.

Its good that you are using the trichomes to make your harvesting decision! :thumb:

You can't just go by some arbitrary date with Cannabis. Evironmental conditions have a big impact on ripening, so the 8-10 week window of most strains should always be used as a guideline only and not something that is set in stone.

I agree ive never heard of any one rinsing there bud after cropping??? this would surely ruin the weed, you wouldnt soak a ten bag when you bought it would you?

Maybe your getting crossed wires with what someone has told you? i think you might have been told to flush?? and just mistaken what you were told. never the less not to bad looking bud.

also give at least a week to dry before smoking as you will be smokin the nutes n stuff if any earlier. and it wont be as good a smoke

I agree ive never heard of any one rinsing there bud after cropping??? this would surely ruin the weed, you wouldnt soak a ten bag when you bought it would you?

Maybe your getting crossed wires with what someone has told you? i think you might have been told to flush?? and just mistaken what you were told. never the less not to bad looking bud.

also give at least a week to dry before smoking as you will be smokin the nutes n stuff if any earlier. and it wont be as good a smoke

Thats a really good point!

I bet he did misunderstand what someone told him about FLUSHING before harvest which involves a SUGAR solution like CLEAREX that helps to remove built up salts and junk from the soil and helps the plant to use up all the nutes before you harvest. If you don't flush, the smoke will usually be really harsh and unpleasant. The reason for this is like you said, you are smoking chemical fertilizer residue still trapped within the plant's tissues! Eeewww!

Thats a really good point!

I bet he did misunderstand what someone told him about FLUSHING before harvest which involves a SUGAR solution like CLEAREX that helps to remove built up salts and junk from the soil and helps the plant to use up all the nutes before you harvest. If you don't flush, the smoke will usually be really harsh and unpleasant. The reason for this is like you said, you are smoking chemical fertilizer residue still trapped within the plant's tissues! Eeewww!

Ye thats exactly what i was thinking matey.

:thanks:

D.O.O.G.Z

So explain to me how washing off your freshly cut nug is going to ruin it....
and what actually ruins it???

You will wash trichomes of the bud lol surely you must know this? why would you possibly want run your weed under a tap?? would you do it if you bought a baggy?? it is not needed, i have never seen it done before personally and ive seen many crops.

D.O.O.G.Z

So explain to me how washing off your freshly cut nug is going to ruin it....
and what actually ruins it???

You will wash trichomes of the bud lol surely you must know this? why would you possibly want run your weed under a tap?? would you do it if you bought a baggy?? it is not needed, i have never seen it done before personally and ive seen many crops.

D.O.O.G.Z

And besides the fact that you are knocking off trichomes, you are also introducing a lot of moisture into the bud which will soak in deep into the structure and make it that much harder to dry it back out thoroughly.

Mold is already a potential issue during the drying/curing process, so why would you want to make this problem potentially much worse?

Whatever your personal opinion may be on potential damage to the bud, why would you want to do this on purpose? There isn't a single upside to it that I an think of. As I said above, if your plants get rained on before harvest, it won't totally ruin the bud, but is is also something you should be trying to avoid if at all possible.

Why do you think grape, almond, walnut, pistachio etc. farmers spend so much time and resources trying to prevent their crops from getting rained on before the harvest? I know that down in the Central Valley of California, it is always a race against the clock to get those valuable crops in before the first fall rains come. The Raisin crop in particular is one that is always in danger of an early fall rain storm. Last year we had a lot of crop loss because of the big storm we saw come through California in early October.

And besides the fact that you are knocking off trichomes, you are also introducing a lot of moisture into the bud which will soak in deep into the structure and make it that much harder to dry it back out thoroughly.

Mold is already a potential issue during the drying/curing process, so why would you want to make this problem potentially much worse?

Whatever your personal opinion may be on potential damage to the bud, why would you want to do this on purpose? There isn't a single upside to it that I an think of. As I said above, if your plants get rained on before harvest, it won't totally ruin the bud, but is is also something you should be trying to avoid if at all possible.

Why do you think grape, almond, walnut, pistachio etc. farmers spend so much time and resources trying to prevent their crops from getting rained on before the harvest? I know that down in the Central Valley of California, it is always a race against the clock to get those valuable crops in before the first fall rains come. The Raisin crop in particular is one that is always in danger of an early fall rain storm. Last year we had a lot of crop loss because of the big storm we saw come through California in early October.

Couldnt agree more the bud he has chopped already looks moldy after one day

Uh...no. It's you who are getting your wires crossed.

You're throwing in a lot of stuff here that's got nothing to do with anything I've written in this thread.

I simply spray washed some broken branch buds and a "test" bud.

Why
?

First, both had a fair amount of BT solution on them. I had sprayed BT (strong mixture but still within recommendation) on the whole plant a day or 2 before.

Second, the broken branch was lying on the ground when I found it so it had a fair amount of dirt on it, along with the BT.

It wasn't like I turned on the garden hose and used my thumb to drench the buds. I used a commercial sprayer and gently sprayed them really good and then just hung them outside my door to dry.

I must not have done too much damage to the bud's trichomes. Why? I'm smokin some really nice buds right now as a result of washing those buds - 7~8 week flowered buds. Ya know? Hello?

I'm not saying that I'm going to mimick this pattern for the regular harvest. This was just a spontaneous thing that I did in a pinch and it turned out really well. After all of this has been said and done - I got 2 oz. of some really decent bud to smoke. So decent I composted all the weed that I had prior, namely, last year's crop and the previous broken branch buds.

No misunderstanding with me. I simply either read it someplace, or maybe heard it watching a grow/harvest video on YouTube and it had nothing to do with "flushing" the soil. It had to do with spray washing the buds before harvest to remove insecticides and what not.

I have no need, or desire to do such things like flushing with sugar, or using Clearex. I do as little as necessary to grow healthy plants and I don't need all this hi-tech shit people are getting so carried away with nowadays. This nute verses that nute. That light versus this light. This strain versus that strain. Flush this. Flush that. Blah, Blah, Blah fucking Blah. Just plant the fucking seeds in the ground (provided the soil is good, and if it aint good, make it good) and give it some water, decent sunlight and space, and then let nature do the rest. Maybe a little help from time to time to keep the plant(s) healthy and fruitful...but no need for all this hyped up bullshit people keep pushing onto one another.

Only my second grow and I'm doing fine with what I've achieved thus far. First year's grow turned out "not so well". So what? So I'm supposed to cower down to the Almighty Whatever and forget about growing my own weed? Fuck you! I took my lumps and went ahead with another grow the following season. Things went a lot better this year, but far from ideal, still had a lot of obstacles to deal with and some unexpected turns - HOWEVER - This year's grow has already surpassed last year's grow, despite all the set-backs.

I wouldn't BLOW OFF flushing before harvest. It is a really important last step and it does make your final crop a lot better tasting and of course, you remove the majority of stored up nutes that are in the plant from as far back as when they were in veg. Personally, I have no desire to be inhaling nitrogen and phosporus salts along with the THC, CBDs and CBNs! ;)

Thats definitely no BS. ;)

But...Its your weed, your time, and your health so if you don't think it matters, then who are we to stop you from continuing to do what you are doing?

You asked the question, we answered it. Simple as that.

Good luck! :Namaste:

I wouldn't BLOW OFF flushing before harvest. It is a really important last step and it does make your final crop a lot better tasting and of course, you remove the majority of stored up nutes that are in the plant from as far back as when they were in veg.

Thats definitely no BS. ;)

But...Its your weed, and your time, so if you don't think it matters, then who are we to stop you from continuing to do what you are doing?

You asked the question, we answered it. Simple as that.

Good luck! :Namaste:

:sorry: All this jazz about flushing just doesn't appeal to me at all right now. Maybe some day I'll try it. I just don't see any need for me to do it. My plants are tasting fine right now.

Most of what my plant(s) have been growing on is very rich composted plant material that I tilled into to soil prior to sticking the seedlings in the ground. I maybe used a fish-based plant food once or twice early during the veg cycle (once for soil feeding, the other with foliar feeding). Didn't even need it really - was purely an experimental thing. Plants did really well with just (less than) weekly waterings. And when the flowering cycle came about I started weekly feeding/watering with a homemade dried Banana Peel Tea (mixed with some of last year's Fig Beetle Soup).

I never really asked a question. I kinda figured the spray washing I did made the buds turn brown. Wanted to see what other experiences and outcomes other people may have had with washing their buds. Wasn't looking for any kind of lecture.

Back
Top Bottom