Outdoor Bagseed - Insta-Flower

urmom

I started these little girls at the end of July/first week of August in 6" pots on my back porch. They got moved around for 2 weeks and then placed in the ground by the back fence the second week of August (already showing signs of sex and of flower)

I started by germinating 9 seeds, hoping for 4-5 males, and keeping 2-3 healthy and carry them through to harvest. I got my wish and have 3 healthy little girls. These little ones started to flower on their 2nd and 3rd nodes...they never even formed 5 bladed leaves until last week. They are 15-20" tall right now and I expect them to finish around 24" (tallest one). I only expect to get about 20 grams cured out of this grow.

I have these girls posted as aside thread on my indoor grow and decided that they needed a place to show off on their own. I will post the old pics I have and will get some new pics this weekend.

The Facts:

Bagseed, germinated into 6" pots/soil.
Alaska 5-1-1 2 tablespoons per gallon once a week, first 2 weeks, 1 cup of Guana Budswell worked into the top 2" od mounds at week 2 of flower, homegrown compost at the transplant and mounded 3" deep 12" around mound then covered with more soil.

The timeline for anyone who is following:
29 July - germination
07 August - sex shows on all but 3.
12 August - 6 planted (4 females, 2 no shows); 2 per mound, 3 mounds.
19 August - last 2 show sex, 1/1 male/female
21 August - Bugs Attack!!! 3 Survive the overnight attack, 1 is eaten almost dead, 1 is thinned out and another loses 50%of it's leaves and almost all growing shoots...
26 August - Flowering begins in full swing...budding sites swell, pistils are formed on all nodes left from the bugs...
02 September - Budswell added to top 3" of soil.
16 September - Last feeding of Alaska Fish 5-1-1 is giving to mounds at 4 tablespoons per gallon, spit between the 2 remaining mounds. Nice steady rainfall for 12 hours to help leech it in...

Re: Outdoor Bagseed, Insta-flower

Here are the photos...

2 girls sharing a growing mound...one topped by bugs and another with a broken main stem (supper-cropping gone too far)
topped_and_damaged_goods.JPG

The bug topped girl
topped_2_.JPG

Another shot of her
topped4.JPG

My tallest girl, about 18" last week...
tall_girl1.JPG

The failed sup[per crop...she is recovering ok...It was touch and go for the 1st 24 hrs. The next morning the top was laying over all dead looking but recovered in 3 days...I am almost ready to take the straw splint off...
damaged_goods.JPG

Thanks for dropping by to check it out...

Tall girl looks nice. She should give me a nice little harvest, probably about 7-10 grams dry...

Damaged Goods is doing ok, not a real showing after the main stem broke but I am hoping she recovers and really swells up in the next month. I expect about 5 Grams from her...

Bug-Topped girl looks the best (ironic huh?). I expect close to 12 grams from her.

I know these are tiny amounts but I was new to the area this summer and my medicine is a 3 hour (1 way) drive...and I can only get 14 grams at a time here, it is a local thing. I decided to throw some in some dirt and figured some outdoor low-yield, high-quality meds would be better than paying (and driving) every month. Due to the $ and the logistics of getting medicine here I thought that even 15-20 grams free is better than nothing.

My wonderful, loving wife then gave me the green-light to buy an indoor setup. I was given a $500-$600 budget and I went to work. I have a Lumatek 400 dimmable/switchable ballast (display model with zero hours and a full warranty...$90!). Some yo-yo hangers, inline fan, soil, desk fans and a Mylar tent, plus a MH and HPS bulb to top it off...check it out at my other journal and let me know what you think...

So with the indoor operation started up and the outdoor getting frosty...all that is left to do is go grind up some medicine, change my water and take some H2O filtered medicine into my lungs...

So I tied the 3 girls down to varying degrees yesterday and took some pictures today...

bug_topped_second_flower.JPG

Tall_girl_LST.JPG

TG_top_flower.JPG

Supercropped_top_flower.JPG

Bug_topped_main_flower.JPG

Bug_topped_LST.JPG

So the girls are starting to swell a little bit and are getting sticky! One of them in particular is starting to get some cloudy trichs and I am thinking about letting this first one get amber. I will pull one of them at 50% amber, one at the 1st amber trich and pull the last one when I am at 75% cloudy. This way I get to experience the same strain at 3 levels of ripeness and can decide how this one smokes the best and therefore I can harvest my indoor when I like it the best. I have some pictures but the photo up loader is being finicky...

As soon as I can get them uploaded I will share them with everyone.

I untied bugsy, the one that was eaten by bugs a few weeks ago. She was not really getting any benefit from the LST because she has nice wide branches anyway with plenty of space for light to penetrate. I left the twine attached in case I decide she needs to be tied up again...you know so girls like to be tied up...

So here are the pictures I promised but first a little grow journal update...

I have been giving the girls straight water now, every other day, about a 1/2 gal each time and 2 days ago I gave them a nice heavy watering straight from the hose. I was watering next year's compost pile (this year's vegetable garden) and watered the base of each mound with a few gallons extra to give them a nice deep soak.

The compost comment explained: Every year for the last 5 years I have grown my vegetables in containers. Every fall, I "transplant" them into the ground and allow them to continue to grow as long as they can, usually about Thanksgiving I get my last peppers and herbs...I then dump compost items on top and any leftover dirt from landscaping etc gets added to create a mound of compost (mostly dirt and leftover plant materials). Next year I will use that dirt and "compost" to fill my containers to grow veggies for the season and do it all over again. It is a great setup and produces very flavorful organic, sustainable vegetables...I encourage you to try it as well. It takes a small area (containers) and a spot about 3 feet by 4 feet to "recycle" your dirt and compost. Do not go heavy on the compost additions as you only have a few months of cold weather for things to break down. as you become more sensitive to your compost and veggies, you can add some "hot" additions and see what happens in individual pots and vegetable varieties. I am not speaking code for anyone who is wondering, we are really talking about sustainable vegetable and herb gardening right now...
Anyway, that is what I do. I end up with tomatoes, peppers (bell and various chilies), a selection of herbs (basil, thyme, parsley etc) and something else, sometimes 3 other things that are short season things, but the peppers are my babies...

Anyway, back to the journal. They git the heavy water and I untied the bug topped girl to let her just grow...she was not benefiting from LST. The tall girl is really doing good though and the smallest girl that was supper-cropped a couple of weeks back is really starting to swell. I think she may end up producing a nice amount of bud for her size (under 18"). I left her tied slightly over just to let the smaller stuff get some extra morning light.

Ok, you have waited long enough, here are the week 4 of flower pics...and remember, these went straight into flower so they have no time in veg and the whole garden was ravaged by bugs and caterpillars overnight, killing 1/2 and defoliating (not the good way) the rest, cutting my harvest by at least 50% I estimate...

The first 3 pictures are of the tall girl; top, middle flowers and an overall shot

tall_girl_top.JPG

tall_girl_middle.JPG

tall_girl3.JPG

This is the super-cropped girl. She is really starting to swell up
supper_hero.JPG

The next 5 shots are of the bug-topped girl. I have 5 of her because I think she is closest to harvest. Before anyone starts to talk about trich color and clear vs cloudy vs amber...I know all that. Her trich's are almost all cloudy and she has almost stopped growing. The bracts are all swelling and the pistils are almost all colored with some starting to brown. I am giving her at least another week before touching her. I Planned on letting one of the 3 go 50% amber to judge the medicinal qualities of the strain at 1/2 amber, 100% cloudy and at 10-25% amber. So she may be my 50% amber girl just because she is ready first.

These are some close ups and some branch shots too...enjoy!
bugsy_top.JPG

bugsy_lower.JPG

bugsy4.JPG

bugsy2.JPG

bugsy3.JPG

Bugsy.JPG

Thanks for stopping by to visit...leave comments and advice below...

Well, I just looked at the pictures in my own post and I would comment that the guy should leave them alone for at least 2-3 more weeks...So I guess pictures do really let you see your garden from another perspective. I have my trusty 45x pocket microscope and checked trich's yesterday and will check again next weekend...like I said, nothing for at least a week...hopefully 4...I would love for these girls to flower for another 4 weeks but I am pretty sure that 1 will get cut in a week or 2 and the other may make it 4 weeks...we will see. A lot can happen with trich color and temps in October...

The week 5 flower update:

So today was a busy day for me...I did some work on the indoor tent and checked my outdoor girls...they are getting close to harvest and the last few weeks are always the hardest ones...

I took my little 45x microscope out and studied the trichomes on Bugsy and we are at 90% cloudy, 9% clearish and 1% amber. Growth has all but stopped on bugsy. She has all her pistils starting to color up and many are turning brown and withering. I really want to hold out on this plant but she seems to be stagnant while the other 2 are still swelling to some degree and they both have fresh flower development every few days. I still plan on letting one of these 3 girls go almost to the full amber trichome stage and Bugsy will be that girl but man is it hard to see your first plant all ready for a early/mid harvest and you still have to hold the knife back for another few days/weeks.
Here are a couple of pictures of her top flowers and branches...
bugsy_other_side.JPG

bugsy_cola.JPG

Now Superhero is really the star of the 3. After being ravaged by insects, a late start, a supper-cropping session that almost ended her life...and yet here she is still flowering, in fact producing fresh flowers every day...I'm a proud papa...
super_hero_top.JPG

super_hero_top_2_.JPG

Last but certainly not least, Tall girl. She had the length and got tied sideways for some better middle flower development. That turned out great and I pulled her down just a little bit more yesterday. An interesting thing is starting to happen with 2 of the flowers on this girl...she has some foxtailing going on, on the second flower site. You can't really see it in the photos but it should develop more in the next few weeks and you should see it in the future...
tall_girl_top1.JPG

A look underneath Tall girl...showing off her goods under the skirts...
tall_girl_under_the_skirts_.JPG

Unfortunately, these 3 plants almost died, started late and I really didn't expect much if any out of them. I know people on these forums are getting some serious harvests that are weighing pounds not grams but that is what I think I will get...grams...I expect about 3-4 grams from Bugsy, 4 from Superhero and 4-5 from Tall girl. Netting me a grand total of about 12 grams of dried manicured flowers. I may even have enough trim to lake a stick's worth of butter out of this...It is a sorry state of affairs around here...however, 12 grams would have cost me a 5-6 hour trip and about $150, plus gas and lunch. So for free bag seeds from a friend and the compost from my garden, I have some homegrown medicine. I am looking forward to my indoor harvest in about 9 weeks though...that should give me a few ounces and then my spring harvest in March should be close to a pound...so the present may look bleak but the future looks green...

OK, here it is...I chopped one of the outdoor plants...She has some serious purple showing. She started showing just on the calyxes first and then the leaves started turning a week later...I was at 80% cloudy, 10% amber and 10% clear (pretty sure they are just the last remnants and should cloud up as the plant dries)...

P10202391.JPG

P10202361.JPG

P1020235.JPG

P1020234.JPG

P1020233_2.jpg

P1020233.JPG

P1020232.JPG

Enjoy...it is not much but it is something...I will post a smoke report in a few weeks to finish off the journal...and I still have 2 more plants to cut, they probably wil last another 5-7 days outside...

Anyone have a suggestion on the best way to dry/cure and store my trim while I wait for the other 2 plants to finish? I will make a small batch of butter with them if that matters at all...

Well it is a sad day at my house...I had to chop my last two miniature outdoor plants...we have been getting down into the 40's at night, the humidity is in the 70-90% range and we are forecasted for thunderstorms all day today...all of those things mean harvest...

My trichomes are at 75% cloudy, 15% amber and 10% clear. I am at 90% fully stalked and headed trichomes so I am pretty sure my potency is about at it's peak...and another few days will not give me a huge increase in yield...I only expect to get about 7 grams total from these plants...I do plan on making some edibles with the trim and rolling a few extra large joints with the flowers and hope that i can get some good smoke reports for the forum and some insights on when to harvest this strain indoors in 6 weeks...

on to the pictures...

Trichome development
tall_girl5.JPG

tall girl
tall_girl_tops.JPG

lower flowers on TG
tall_girl_lower.JPG

Full body shot of TG
tall_girl_full.JPG

Superhero's minature cola
superhero_cola.JPG

superhero's top flower top view...
sprhro_top.JPG

thanks for stopping by. I will post some dried pictures in about a week and a smoke report a week after that...

So a few niced dried pictures of my outdoor girls...the smoke is incredibly smooth and gives you a soaring super clear psychedelic high...pain relief is instant and it opens up my mind from any anxiety or PTSD/anger/aggression or frustration you may feel. All you get is super happy, relaxed feeling that encourages outdoor activity, e.g. hiking, trail running, playing frisbee etc...I plan on harvesting my indoor at the same stage (I will leave 1 plant for a week longer for some extra amber trichs and a nice evening smoke). I am sure this stuff is only going to get better with age so I will let you know in a few months how the indoor stuff cures up...

So here are a few shots of some dried outdoor buds...

P1020509.JPG
P10205111.JPG

A quick smoke report and then this journal can go into the completed category...

These outdoor girls gave me about 6 grams of top quality manicured medicine. After a week of drying and 2 weeks of curing, the final smoke was ultra smooth, very musky with a definite floral, with hints of fruit taste. The smoke was medium in density, not to heavy but not light at all. Some of the flowers tended to have a bit of a harsher end note to them for my wife. She thought they had some "hard" smoke but I thought it was fine.
The high was a little slow to come on, about 5 minutes for full effect. You shot straight through the atmosphere and went on to quasar778 (a planet you can only find after 2 nice rips of this medicine). The high was all sativa with a little bit of some indica stoned feeling towards the 1-2 hour point. 2 bong hits from my 18" glass had me orbiting for about 4-5 hours. I fell into a nice routine of waking up around 6 am, coffee, 2 rips from my water pipe or the end of the night before's joint (never could finish a joint, even a small one, with my wife...) outside on my back deck followed by a walk and some house chores up to noon...with zero loss of the effects until 1130ish. I would take another it around 11 or 12 and be fine until the night when we would roll another one up or fill up my very nice, handed down from my dead best friend, glass pipe (which is being turned into a hash only pipe after my next harvest) and smoke some of this amazing bud. I have 4 more in my tent (2 are 4 weeks into flower and the others are 2 weeks in) plus my heavy female hermie outside and a big bitchin' mother plant that already gave me a wonderful little clone to carry on the strain. I am going to make this little one into a long-term mother project and hopefully keep her alive, giving me clones for the next few years. That will mean I can also breed these genetics into my own strain. Stay tuned to seed banks and dispensaries for a strain that will be called "Fire on the Mountain" aka "9/11 Memorial" or just "9/11", bred by "Your Mom".
Thanks for all the help here on this forum and stay tuned for the upcoming harvests on my indoor journal. I will also be starting a new journal for my mother plant called "9/11 Memorial Mother Grow". I should be starting that one later today maybe and I will add it to my signature. You will see some duplicate pictures from my other indoor grow but she needs her own journal to be treated the way she needs to be treated. Thanks again for all the help I recieved and I can't wait to get growing again...next year will be some epic clones grown outside off of the little clone mother I took...that will get it's own journal too...

Thanks for sharing your grow with us.

Don't forget to head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too! :cheer:

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please start one here:
Journals in Progress

In the future, whenever you complete a journal, please use the Report Post feature found at the bottom left of every post, so we can be alerted to move it for you.

Hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine.

Back
Top Bottom