Dr Grinspoon SCROG

Bush Doctor 77

I've been wanting to give the Doc a try, as it gets good reviews. I wasn't going to do a journal, but there seems to be some interest in the strain. Feminized seeds from Barney's Farm through Seedsman. I popped 3 seeds and got 2 phenos. One plant is much more Sativa dominant.

Sunshine Mix No. 4, purple bale
7 gallon grow bags
One Budget Red Spec 3000K 480w QB, and 2 4500K 100w bars, all adjustable with Samsung diodes and MW drivers
Mega Crop nutes
4X4 foot Scrog with first Scrog tier 8 inches above pots, and second tier 8 inches above that. Bottom net heavy gauge 4X2" galvanized fence, Top net is 3X3" nylon.
Scrog frame is 1/2 inch PVC reinforced with Al tubing.
Mosquito cake mixed with grow media to prevent gnats
Very Ca/Mg hard well water @400ppm tds mixed 4 parts to one part RO(I originally started with 3:1, but had to kick up the Ca/Mg well water as plants were Ca/Mg short. (3:1 worked with HID lights, but LEDs add to Ca/Mg usage???)
I do nothing to control temps so ambient household, and low RH all the time.
Grow space is 6X6 foot area with panda film walls. The film is hung on two sides 1 inch below the ceiling to aid convection cooling.
18" wall fan blowing down on SCROG

I like to keep it simple, and don't use a pH meter, as Sunshine is well buffered. Generally the Dr Grinspoon tends to be a little touchy about nutes and neem, especially the more Sativa pheno. Seems like they are a little sensitive to LST also. I started with my Red Spec QB turned all the way down, and the 4500K bars all the way up for veg, They've been in bloom a week and I am gradually turning the 4500K bars down and 3000K QB up. BTW, this is my first grow with light bars, and only second grow with LED's as I've been long time HID. Also my first grow with Mega Crop instead of GH nutes. I am also a relative novice with Scrog.

First pic was a week ago when I flipped to bloom. Second pic is week 2 first day. Clockwise from bottom left is Dr GS, Dr GS Sativa dominant, Dr GS, and finally a Royal Cookies that absolutely rocks. Last pic is my light setup
DSC02059.JPG
DSC02070.JPG
DSC02071.JPG

I've been wanting to give the Doc a try, as it gets good reviews. I wasn't going to do a journal, but there seems to be some interest in the strain. Feminized seeds from Barney's Farm through Seedsman. I popped 3 seeds and got 2 phenos. One plant is much more Sativa dominant.

Sunshine Mix No. 4, purple bale
7 gallon grow bags
One Budget Red Spec 3000K 480w QB, and 2 4500K 100w bars, all adjustable with Samsung diodes and MW drivers
Mega Crop nutes
4X4 foot Scrog with first Scrog tier 8 inches above pots, and second tier 8 inches above that. Bottom net heavy gauge 4X2" galvanized fence, Top net is 3X3" nylon.
Scrog frame is 1/2 inch PVC reinforced with Al tubing.
Mosquito cake mixed with grow media to prevent gnats
Very Ca/Mg hard well water @400ppm tds mixed 4 parts to one part RO(I originally started with 3:1, but had to kick up the Ca/Mg well water as plants were Ca/Mg short. (3:1 worked with HID lights, but LEDs add to Ca/Mg usage???)
I do nothing to control temps so ambient household, and low RH all the time.
Grow space is 6X6 foot area with panda film walls. The film is hung on two sides 1 inch below the ceiling to aid convection cooling.
18" wall fan blowing down on SCROG

I like to keep it simple, and don't use a pH meter, as Sunshine is well buffered. Generally the Dr Grinspoon tends to be a little touchy about nutes and neem, especially the more Sativa pheno. Seems like they are a little sensitive to LST also. I started with my Red Spec QB turned all the way down, and the 4500K bars all the way up for veg, They've been in bloom a week and I am gradually turning the 4500K bars down and 3000K QB up. BTW, this is my first grow with light bars, and only second grow with LED's as I've been long time HID. Also my first grow with Mega Crop instead of GH nutes. I am also a relative novice with Scrog.

First pic was a week ago when I flipped to bloom. Second pic is week 2 first day. Clockwise from bottom left is Dr GS, Dr GS Sativa dominant, Dr GS, and finally a Royal Cookies that absolutely rocks. Last pic is my light setup
DSC02059.JPG
DSC02070.JPG
DSC02071.JPG
Nice scrog, clean, what i would like to know is hows your feelings on changing from HID to led, a lot more growers are leaving HIDs ?

Nice scrog, clean, what i would like to know is hows your feelings on changing from HID to led, a lot more growers are leaving HIDs ?
I finished my last grow with the 480w QB after using a DE 1000w HPS for the first 4 weeks of bloom. I think I got more color on the finished product with the LED and I think they may use more Ca/Mg. I won't go back to HID--too much energy turned to heat with HID. Another main point for LED is 50,000 hours without any deterioration. I think the QB width also helps develop the lower buds because of better penetration just because it has multiple lights hitting the plants from different angles.

Good point bush Doctor77,I'm constantly struggling to keep the heat down and constantly hearing the wife complaining about power bill, I think its time, thanks Doc....

Good point bush Doctor77,I'm constantly struggling to keep the heat down and constantly hearing the wife complaining about power bill, I think its time, thanks Doc....
Winter in Montana, I can use the heat, but it's an expensive way to get btu's. With the LED's I am probably going to run during the summer, as heat is not near as much a problem.

Subbed for this. I smoked Dr. Grinspoon at Barney's in Amsterdam. It was amazing. They promote this strain as %100 sativa and it has weird nugs. Should be a small yielder though. I wonder how much you can get with this proper training. :goodluck:
I hope I have the typical GS pheno. I'm guessing, from what I read, to get 75% of my normal yield. But I changed variables, light and nutes, so new territory for me.

I hope I have the typical GS pheno. I'm guessing, from what I read, to get 75% of my normal yield. But I changed variables, light and nutes, so new territory for me.

If you get the typical pheno, you will definately get less than that. The final flowers were like very weak but very potent. The budtender gave me almost grinded stuff but this is due to genetics. Taste was amazing. I'll make sure check your harvest and tell if you got the Barney's in house stuff.

Here's first day of week 3 in bloom. Getting 4.5g MC and .5g Bud Explosion /gallon every watering. I have not flushed hese plants yet, and was wondering if they need flushing with MC. Normally I flush once a month or so, but that was with GH nutes.
First pic from lower left clockwise:GS indica, GS typical, GS indica and Royal Cookies. Second is indica pheno. Third is typical GS I think. 4th and fifth are typical GS fan, and indica
DSC02073.JPG
DSC02074.JPG
DSC02075.JPG
DSC02076.JPG
DSC02077.JPG
GS fan.

Attachments

• DSC02076.JPG
    DSC02076.JPG
    748.1 KB · Views: 156
  • DSC02076.JPG
    DSC02076.JPG
    748.1 KB · Views: 156
  • DSC02075.JPG
    DSC02075.JPG
    902.4 KB · Views: 161
Here's first day of week 3 in bloom. Getting 4.5g MC and .5g Bud Explosion /gallon every watering. I have not flushed hese plants yet, and was wondering if they need flushing with MC. Normally I flush once a month or so, but that was with GH nutes.
First pic from lower left clockwise:GS indica, GS typical, GS indica and Royal Cookies. Second is indica pheno. Third is typical GS I think. 4th and fifth are typical GS fan, and indica
DSC02073.JPG
DSC02074.JPG
DSC02075.JPG
DSC02076.JPG
DSC02077.JPG
GS fan.
How much more stretch do you anticipate?

How much more stretch do you anticipate?
No idea. I ran my 2 4500K 100w bars on high for the first 2 weeks, and my 3000k R Spec QB @ about 200 watts. I just turned the 480w RED Spec all the way up and the bars down, Hopefully that will help limit stretch. If they get too high for the screen to hold up, I'll use bamboo.

No idea. I ran my 2 4500K 100w bars on high for the first 2 weeks, and my 3000k R Spec QB @ about 200 watts. I just turned the 480w RED Spec all the way up and the bars down, Hopefully that will help limit stretch. If they get too high for the screen to hold up, I'll use bamboo.
Yeah, hard to say with a Sativa. Sometimes they never stop stretching. Lol

I’m about to flower g13 haze and laughing Buddha, they might be stretchers too. Lol
I just harvested 2 Amazing Haze. I thought they would stretch, but even the tallest pheno only stretched about 12 inches. I kept them under MH for the first two weeks of bloom, which is said to reduce stretch.

Back
Top Bottom