Cannabis Activists Push Issue on Hash Wednesday

SmokeDog420

The National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws (NORML) and the Students for Sensible Drug Policy (SSDP) will celebrate the 7th Annual Hash Wednesday today on the Quad. The event, which advocates the legalization of cannabis, also known as marijuana, will include speakers, brownies, contests and teach-ins.
"Drugs are not evil, I am not evil – Yes, I smoke weed, but who cares?" said Danielle Schumacher, senior in LAS and president of NORML and SSDP. "We want to get the truth out about drugs and raise awareness about the issues."

Frank Nardulli, graduate student and the event's organizer, said he wants more people to know about the benefits of marijuana – mostly medicinal marijuana and industrial hemp.

"We have certain rights to do what we want to do," Nardulli said. "The government doesn't have a right to turn something that isn't a criminal act into one."

Schumacher said much of the opposition toward drugs started in the '80s, with the "War on Drugs."

"It's been going on for so long. People are not taught the truth – I don't blame them," Schumacher said.

Nardulli said students on this campus don't know enough to formulate a real opinion. That is why his main goal is education.

"I think the majority of campus is misinformed," Nardulli said. "The way you can change the law is to change people's opinions."

University Police Department Crime Prevention Coordinator Tony Ortiz said he has facts that many students are unaware about.

"If you get convicted, student aid, loans and grants could be stripped away from you," Ortiz said.

Ortiz said students know the law, and they should follow it. If students break this law, he said they might be prone to breaking the law again.

"You are basically disrespecting the rules and regulations of the University. If it's against the law, it's against the law. Until it is legal, it is illegal," Ortiz said.

Schumacher said it is going to be interesting to see what people attending the event will do. She said if people choose to smoke weed, that is their choice. The event is simply put on to inform and educate.

"If people get arrested on Hash Wednesday, it's their own fault. That is their choice," Schumacher said.

Hash Wednesday is rumored to have started in the '70s, when people showed resistance to marijuana laws.

"Everyone has conflicting histories on it," Schumacher said.

Schumacher said the event was more popular in the '70s, gathering about 1,000 people on the Quad.

This year, NORML and SSDP sponsored a benefit show at Cowboy Monkey, 6 Taylor St., Champaign, to raise money for the event. They also had four bake sales and have raised funds through sales of T-shirts, Schumacher said.

Schumacher said that by advertising all over the campus and community, she hopes there will be a bigger turnout this year than in years past.

"If this is successful, it can only get better," Schumacher said.

Andrew Wong, sophomore in applied life studies, said he will attend today's events and said marijuana should be legal.

"I guess weed will always be around regardless, so it might as well be legal, to generate tax revenue and be regulated– plus its not like coke or heroine," Wong said.

Source: Daily Illini, The (IL Edu)
Author: Michelle Gonzalez, Staff Writer
Published: Wednesday, April 14, 2004
Copyright: 2004 Illini Media Co.
Website: The Daily Illini | The independent student newspaper at the University of Illinois since 1871

Back
Top Bottom